The office of the Dean of students is “Home away from home” for all the students who enroll in the University. It is the one place students are invited to be open and voice their needs and have them met as reasonably as possible. The office aims at ensuring that the welfare of the students is catered for physically, academically, emotionally, intellectually, socially and spiritually. All the activities and programmes of the office of the Dean of Students are aimed at this wholesome development. Kirinyaga University acknowledges that the core purpose of students is academic achievement. However, the University realizes that excellence in this regard cannot be attained in a vacuum. An environment conducive to progressive learning must be created and maintained, hence the endeavor to see to the welfare of the student on all fronts.
- Organizing of proper utilization of all students recreational facilities.
- Overseeing Chaplaincy and Counseling services.
- Overseeing the organization of clubs, societies, games and sports.
- Allocation and reservation of hostel facilities
- Organizing and supervising students’ elections for the Kirinyaga University Students Organization (KyUSO).
- Arrangement of regular consultative and information- oriented meetings with the Students Organization council.
- Preparing budgets for co-curricular activities.
- In charge of general students welfare.
- Facilitating preparation of students certificates of merit.
- Any other responsibility assigned to the office by the Vice Chancellor.
The office of the Dean of students coordinates and oversees the elections of the students governing body, Kirinyaga University Students Organization (KyUSO). The Dean of students acts as the Chief Returning Officer in the Students’ elections.
The Dean of Students ‘office works in close liaison with the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), to give advice to the students concerning their applications to the board. The office also works closely with other financial supporters for needy students such as the CDF Bursary Committee
Rev. Allan Maina
Dean of Students